2 Down the Lane

2 Down the Lane

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In between life, there is reading.

 

In between all of the craziness that is my life, I have been trying to read at least 50 books by the end of the year.  I am combining a whatever I want to read list with a list of books that I found on the internet that says I should read this list before I do the proverbial “kicking the bucket” thing.  I printed that list  to stick in my purse and cut it to fit my little notebook.  Now, I can’t find where I got the list.  I did this so if I am at a yard sale or used bookstore, I can keep up with what I need to read next.  Some of the books on this list, I will never read.  Like all of Shakespeare……I have read some in school and in college---that is enough for me.  So, here is the list of what I have read so far this year. I will put a star by the ones on the 100 Books You Need to Read Before You Die list.

 

1. Walking Across Egypt      Clyde Edgerton

2.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie – Alan Bradley

3.  The Weed That Strings the Hangman’s  Bag – Alan Bradley

4. Olive Kitteridge  -  Elizabeth Strout

5.  Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

6.  Saving CeeCee Honeycutt  -  Beth Hoffman

7.  The Man that Moved a Mountain

*8. Bridgett Jones Diary  - Helen Fielding

9.  The Lightening Thief – Rick Riordan

*10. Remains of the Day -  Kazuo Ishigur0

11. Careless in Red – Elizabeth George

12. White Thorn Woods -   Maeve Binchey

13.  Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand  - Helen Simonson

14. The Lace Reader – Brunonia Barry

15. The Art of Racing in the Rain – Garth Stein

*16.  Cold Comfort Farm-  Stella Gibbons

17.  Crossed Bones - Carolyn Haines

*18.  The Time Traveler’s Wife—Audrey Niffenegger

19.   Above Suspicion-Helen MacInnes

20.  Dyer Consequences -  Maggie Sefton

What is this, 3o  to go by the end of the year?   I actually think I can do it, if I can get all of  the Christmas presents bought and wrapped so that once it gets cold I can really start reading .

I would love to hear your list.  I have a stack of 5 more books right now.  So, I am getting there---how about you? 

Until the next time,

Madelyn

3 comments:

  1. I need to start keeping a list of what I've read. Julie has kept a book journal for years and she writes a couple comments about the book.

    I love to read in the fall, snuggled up with a good book and some hot tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Madelyn- I'm a new reader! I love your book list. I enjoyed The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. One of my favorite books of all time is also by this Author- Her Fearful Symmetry. And Bridgett Jones Diary is a classic as far as I am concerned : ) I have read it several times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL a new "Reader" of your blog that is... not of books... oh, books and I go way back.

    ReplyDelete