2 Down the Lane

2 Down the Lane

Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Week of Menu Plans

 

I am so excited. The rain has come and with it thunderstorms now if the temperature will just change.  It has been so hot for so long but there are some recipes that just scream autumn.   Big pots of homemade soup, crunchy corn muffins, ginger cookies and steaming mugs of cinnamon flavored apple juice or Russian tea.  This just screams

Fall!

I got the idea for doing a weekly menu blog from Yvonne at StoneGate.  I just dearly love everything she does.  Though, she does not know me, I feel like we could be good friends.  Her blog is beautiful, entertaining and filled with great ideas.  StoneGate is my inspiration.  She is celebrating her one year blogiversary.  Congratulations, Yvonne. 

But onto the menus

Our schedules are so busy.  I think I have mentioned that Mr.. R has taken on a huge responsibility at church.  This means meetings after meetings.  I am volunteering at church and taking my art classes. I also stay with my Mom one day a week.  Then, there are all of the neat things that we do with family and friends.  So, I am preparing recipes that I can make and either freeze part of the leftovers or use them later in the week. 

Monday is our one day that we are at home most of the day with nothing to do but “home things”.  So that is why I started Make Bread Mondays.  Then, I have bread for the rest of the week.  Mr.. R loves his bread. 

Wednesday is church night and we eat supper there.  Saturday night and Sunday lunch usually finds us eating out.  Our Sunday lunches are very special times where we eat with friends—we talk about our week, what books we are reading and just generally chat. 

 

Just a note:   I will put the recipes that are in Italics following the menu.

Monday
Chicken Noodle Soup
Toasted Corn Muffins
Tossed Salad
Tuesday
Apricot Chicken
Brown Rice with Cranberries
Steamed Broccoli with butter & lemon
Warm Honey Whole Wheat Bread
Individual Apple Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream
Wednesday
We have supper at church
Thursday
Italian Meatloaf
Dilled Red Potatoes
Succotash ---- Biscuits
Friday
Potato Soup
Toasted Cheese & Ham Panini's
Chocolate Snowflake Cookies
Saturday
Sunday---Leftovers from the week

Now, as far as what will freeze and be used another day.  Actually, the Succotash was frozen.  If we have left over vegetables, I put them in the freezer for Vegetable soup.  I remembered the Succotash mix and used that for a side instead of soup.  Worked like a charm.  I had cooked the limas for supper one night and then, I froze them.  I cooked the corn on another night.  Just opened the container and froze the corn.  So, it worked out perfectly for a different side.   Mr... R loves to make sandwiches from left over meatloaf. I will freeze the chicken noodle soup and I will have the potato soup for lunch.   I truly try not to waste anything.  I make double batches of biscuits and freeze them.  Take a number out, put them in a circle on a plate in the microwave on defrost for 3-4 minutes (depends on your microwave) and they taste just like freshly baked ones.  I also make a double batch of corn muffins—freeze them then when I want to serve them, I cut them in half and butter then toast in the toaster oven.  There is something about a crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside corn muffins.   It works for me.

See you in a few,

Madelyn

 

Chicken Noodle Soup

1-2 roasted chicken breasts (cut into cubes)

1 carrot
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon frozen tiny green peas
3 cup cooked farfalle
6 –8 cups of homemade chicken stock
Trim and dice carrots into small cubes.  In a large pot, bring 2-3 quarts of water to a boil.  Add 1 tablespoon of salt.  Add the pasta and the carrots.  Cook until the pasta is a not quite al dente.  Drain.  In the same large pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onion.  While the onion is sautéing, remove the chicken meat from the bones and chop or shred into small pieces.  Add to the onion.  Stir well and allow to cook together for about 5 minutes.  Add the stock and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and add the pasta and carrots.  Cook for another 5-7 minutes.  Throw in the green peas and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve in warmed bowls.    Serves 4-5
Apricot Chicken

2 large chicken bone-in chicken breasts, cut in half
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small onion thinly sliced
1/2 lemon, sliced very thinly
3 tablespoons apricot jam
3 cups chicken stock

In large frying pan, brown the salt and peppered chicken breast halves. Remove to a plate and set aside.  In the pan with the drippings remaining, add the onion and sauté until limp and just beginning to brown.  Add the lemon and cook for just one minute.  Add the chicken stock and allow to come to a boil.   Mix in the jam and then put the chicken back into the pan.  Reduce the heat and cover the chicken.  Allow to cook on top of the stove for about 35 minutes. Remove the lid and turn up the heat and reduce the liquid.  Serves 2 .
Italian Meatloaf

Just a brief note here. I am not a fan of meatloaf --- at all.  Last year at Christmas, friends gave us a loaf of bread in a cute red loaf pan that she said she purchased at the Dollar Store.  I make a hamburger for me and the then the rest of the meat I use for his meatloaf. When I say it is two servings that means for us, two slices for dinner and two slices for a sandwich the next day. 

10 Ritz crackers
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
4 tablespoons milk
1 egg
1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a small bowl, crumble crackers into fine crumbs.  Add the spices and mix well.  Add milk and allow to sit for a minute or two.  Beat the egg and add to the cracker mixture.   Add the cracker mixture to the meat and very gently toss together until well blended.  Spray a small loaf pan with vegetable coating spray.  Put the meat mixture in the pan.  Place the pan on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for about 35-40 minutes.  Press top of meatloaf after the allotted baking time.  If it is firm, then it is cooked thoroughly. 


Chocolate Snowflake cookies are in the
September 30th post.

No comments:

Post a Comment