2 Down the Lane

2 Down the Lane

Sunday, November 7, 2010

I don’t believe this has happened.

 

The floor guys came today. They were progressing very quickly.  The first tree guy had come for an estimate. It was much lower than we had ever expected.  I was thinking maybe we can go ahead with the kitchen. Attley (my wonder carpenter) was out back working on the fence.  We were chugging along…..

When all at once, the floor guy turned to me and said, do you have a carpenter. We have a problem.  A problem?  That was an understatement.  We had a massive expensive dilemma.  There was not only termite damage (from awhile back—no current termites were seen in the making of this fiasco), but water damage that had caused so much rot that the floor could not be put down until it was fixed.  Then he said, “I smell gas”.  That meant a call to Public Service Gas Co. 

The Gas Guy literally shuts off the gas and says basically -- “You need a new furnace and a new hot water heater.”  Another call to the HVAC people.  And all through this we are having guys come to give us estimates for the tree.

So, the HVAC guy gets here around 5:30 p.m.  Good news.  (FINALLY!) With a little bit of new this and that everything (furnace & hot water) can be fixed with a minimum of work and cost.  He will be back in the morning. 

Attley comes in with his crew to start removing and rebuilding.  We haven’t looked at the den yet, so no telling what is going to be there.  We had already hired Attley to fix the window sills throughout and he was coming in a couple of weeks.  Gee, I wish I had fun stuff to talk about, but this happens.  Actually where the worst rot is in the living room and that is the only place I can put my piano.  The piano was built in 1854 and it takes 4 men to move it. 

I keep telling Mr. R this was all a blessing.  About 1:00 this afternoon, he looked at me and said, “I don’t need anymore blessings!”

So, once again, I ask----“Are we having fun yet?  

PS—After 4 tree estimates, we are going with the $625.00.  The estimates ranged from $625 to $1200.  This is an oak tree that is about 20 feet from the house.  It is massive and it is dead(or just about).  It has got to go before an ice storm this winter.

PSS --- Did I mention we have lost our land line, our internet and our television??

See you in a few (I hope),


Madelyn

It is Sunday night---still no floor, but I think everything is in line to start tomorrow. Attley found some serious termite damage in the den.  It is fixed.  Thank heavens for Attley.

But, I need to call the plumber.  Mr. R’s toilet is making some seriously funny sounds and it is not doing it’s job particularly efficiently.  I have internet until in the morning and I don’t know if I will be able to get it again before Wednesday or Thursday. 

Have a good week.    M.

No comments:

Post a Comment