2 Down the Lane

2 Down the Lane

Friday, March 18, 2011

A New Recipe for Dinner

 

I was talking to a friend at church the other day and she was telling me about a really good recipe she had tried with pork loin.  Low and behold, I went to our local grocery store and found pork loins reduced for quick sale. They were on sale to begin with and then I got another five dollars off of that—Yahoo!!!

So, I decided to try her recipe.  I called her at work and she gave me the ingredients, she couldn’t remember the amounts.   I added  the stock and made up the rest.  It worked.

Along with the pork, I served good ole Rice-A-Roni.  I know,  I know,   I love it and it had been on sale (10 for $10.00)  I only got 3 boxes which I found a coupon on the front of one that said, buy 3 boxes and get a box of another kind of pasta for free. Free is always a good word and sometimes when you are in a hurry it is nice to have a back up in the pantry. 

There are a few changes I will do the next time I serve this dish and I have included  my changes into the recipe.  I cut the amount of chicken stock and the pork needed to be pounded.    Jane suggested that I use an electric knife to cut the cutlets.  It probably would be a good thing to freeze  the pork just a bit even using the electric knife.   This could very easily be a nice company meal (I would make homemade rice-a-roni, then). Not only was the pork  good, it was quick, too.  This entire meal cost me about $4.50.  There was enough pork left for a sandwich for lunch and there was also peas and rice left, too.  So, lets just say it cost about $1.50 per serving.

Jane’s Pork Tenderloin Piccata

About 1 pound pork tenderloin
thinly sliced about 1/8” thick per slice
Serve about 3 slices per person
3/4 cup flour
salt and pepper

DSC02231
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vermouth
juice of 2 lemons
 

 DSC02233
1/2 cup chicken stock (homemade is best – be sure to use no sodium or low sodium)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins  (0ptional)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
 
Pound pork slices. Mix the water and the egg  in a flat container and beat well.  In another flat container mix the flour, salt and pepper.   Dip the pork into the egg and then the flour.  Allow to sit for at least 6 minutes.

DSC02237
While the pork is sitting, get all of the other ingredients ready. Allow the skillet to get hot on medium high heat.  Melt the butter and add the olive oil.  When hot, add the pork – not crowding the pan.  Brown well on both sides – about 3 minutes each. It will be cooked through. Add to a warmed platter and cover with foil. Add all the sauce ingredients to the pan.  Reduce the liquid to a thick sauce.  Pour over the pork.  Yummy!!!!


DSC02239

PS—The raisins.  I do not like raisins so I left them out.  Jane thought they were a delicious addition. 

See you in a few,


Madelyn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Madelyn,

    I'm following you! And your blog looks great. I really liked the pics you posted from the farm. ~ Kathleen R.

    ReplyDelete