2 Down the Lane

2 Down the Lane

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Bridge, Ideas and an Award!!

 

Since moving back to town, every now and then I have been substituting in a Monday morning Bridge group.  It is such a nice way to start the week.  It is only one table. Toby and Carol have been bridge friends for over 30 years (OUCH!)  and I have known Frances all of my life.  It is at Frances’ home each Monday. 

Frances has a wonderful art collection in her large living area where the bridge table is always set up.  She has one painting that I just love.  I would just look and look at it.  It is a triptych of sunflowers.  Well, I came home one day and in my journal started drawing.  I didn’t do a triptych and it really doesn’t look like the paintings, but it does make me happy when I walk into the dining room at my house.

So, I started it last summer and finished it before my first art crawl.  It didn’t sell (sad day), but then, I decided to enter it in the Mooresville Artist Guild Show last September.  I was absolutely thrilled to have won Honorable Mention in the Watercolor Division.

I thought I would show you the steps that I took to paint the sunflowers.  I wish I had a picture of the triptych at Frances’ home—but the important thing is seeing the finished product.

100_4276

This is the drawing that I did in my journal.  Since this, I have discovered that I need to pretty much draw out each painting like this before I start.  I do not like to start something and then just keep adding until it is finished.  

100_4273

I started this on Arches 140 lb. cold press paper.

100_4277

This is just some practice for the background.  I even save all of this in the finished picture file.  I save all of my practice drawings, my practice color swatches and any photos or pictures that I have assembled to help me paint.

100_4283

And, the finished picture.

IMG_0265

So, I would love to hear some comments.

Have a great day!

Madelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment